Featured Miyamoto Aims to Appease Lefty Gamers

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by Wilbo, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Wilbo

Wilbo Administrator Staff Member Junior Member

Many 3DS and Wii U games require the use of the stylus, and most are catered towards right-handed gamers. Some games have addressed this issue, and have included a left handed option, however a larger majority still do not do this, which leaves lefty gamers struggling when playing these games. In an interview, Miyamoto discusses this issue and the need for it to be rectified. He plans on talking directly with game developers in order to fix this issue for the future.

Well that's good to know! Not being a lefty myself, I've never even thought about this issue... but I can see how it must be somewhat frustrating. Do any of you lefty gamers relate to this struggle?

duke likes this.
  2. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich Member Junior Member

Based upon this thread's title, I thought that it was going to relate Miyamoto's apparent plans to make an overtly liberal and politically correct Mario game! Maybe something to appease the folks over at PETA who complained about Mario's Tanooki Suit (decades after it was first introduced in Super Mario Bros 3)! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, I'm right-handed myself but of course recognize that it makes absolute sense that games should ideally be designed as ambidextrously as possible so that all players would have a good gameplay experience regardless of their handiness! I salute Nintendo's efforts to be more ambidextrous in the future! :thumbsup:

duke likes this.
  3. Erik

Erik Administrator Staff Member Junior Member

I've always figured that left handed gamers simply learned and became accustomed to use the same controllers the rest of us use. Obviously 99% of game controllers are in no way symmetrical so having a left handed and right-handed controller scheme wouldn't work. I'm not sure, but I would not be surprised if some of Nintendo's unique new controls like dual screen and motion control made it more difficult for left handed gamers since it requires a bigger gap in dexterity between what your dominant and non-dominant hand are doing.

I think that for left handed gamers the PC would probably be the platform of choice because there are so many options for input devices. I have seen many good looking ambidextrous or left handed mice out there and it is pretty easy to just move your mouse and mouse pad over to the left side of the keyboard.

4. RS_Master_360

RS_Master_360 New Member New Member

I'm a right hand gamer but sometimes a may use my left hand to be a bit more comfortable with the game. But Nintendo may have an upper hand with this new aspect as to all the other guys whom as far as i know don't have this kind of technology although it is much in-genius. They could come out with some new accessories and make a few thousand dollars, but then again it wouldn't be that much of a increase in profit considering how much work will go into this then not many people buying this. They would probably fall short and desperate like they did with the virtual boy, with a terrible graphics set because of budget cuts. It's just my opioin though so whatever.:thumbsup:

5. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich Member Junior Member

I can certainly see how handiness would be a major issue when using a tool like the stylus, but I never really considered handiness when it comes to the classic console controller's layout.

Such controllers are indeed quite asymmetrical, but my intuition is such that I don't envision much of a difference between having one's non-dominant hand over the D-pad and one's dominate hand over the various jump, fire, etc buttons or vice versa. Both sets of buttons require quick hand-eye co-ordination and although which is used more frequently varies from game to game, it seems to me that most games have the left hand side D-pad buttons being pushed more frequently than the jump, fire, etc buttons the right hand side.

It would be mildly interesting to see a broad study of controller ergonomics that included investigating the difference between right- and left- handed players. (Or, in the case of the N64's controller: players with two hands versus players with three!) As you say, there might be some initial difference between first-time users (as with any novice mechanical task) but over time acclimation would most likely reduce that difference and eliminate the handicap.

6. duke

duke New Member New Member

This is a great topic! I'm glad that Nintendo is looking into expanding the options for left handed gamers. My original reply was just a quote of the article because I was trying to reply on my 3DS and discovered that I couldn't get the 'keyboard' to pop up in order to type a reply. I was looking for ways to share friend codes online since Miiverse, in its lack of wisdom doesn't allow it, when I found you guys.

I have been trying to play games left-handed (since I was born that way) for about 25 years. As another poster said, often times a PC has been my best option since PC games tend to let you customize the controls more. I also really liked (and still like) the Atari 2600 since I can run the joystick with my left hand. I also have a 3rd party joystick for it that I got long ago that has two fire buttons, one on the base and one on the stick to make it even more ambidextrous.

The most ambidextrous controller to date, though, has to be the Wii Remote. That controller might look funny, but it is great for lefties. In most Wii games, I can wield the Remote and reach all of the buttons very easily with my left hand.

The addition of the thumbstick on the 3DS has helped me a lot. Before the 3DS came out, I was really terrible at driving, flying and FPS games on the DSi. The thumbstick feels less clumsy to me and I can steer much better with it. If there were thumbsticks on both sides (without having to get an adapter and look for adapter compatible games) that would be awesome!

I've tried my best to adapt to right handed centric controls but it always feels awkward and I wind up wondering if I could play the game better if I could use my left hand to execute the more difficult control sets of the game. Many consoles have had games that let you change the controls somewhat and those games tended to be the ones I played the most. On the 3DS, games like 'Astro', 'The Keep' and 'Moon Chronicles' let me switch controls around until I find a comfortable set up. I sure appreciate that!

Sometimes, it works much better for me if I can move the character with my right hand and navigate the touch screen controls with my left hand holding the stylus. If more games let you turn the A, B, X, Y buttons into the 'D pad' so that your left hand was free to use the stylus or at least let you change what the left shoulder button does so that you aren't trying to do some time critical button press while also dodging the character around, that would be great.

My left handedness as well as some hand-eye coordination issues I have from also growing up with double vision until an eye doctor gave me eye exercises to do to correct my lazy eye (the glasses-less 3D aspect of the 3DS is great for this as it's a more fun way of doing some of those exercises!), are big reasons why I mostly prefer turn based games like 'Fire Emblem' and 'Final Fantasy'. Adjustable controls do help a lot with letting me try out other genres though and I hope to see even more of it in the future on the 3DS.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014