Zelda Wii U to be roughly the size of Kyoto.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii U' started by Wilbo, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Wilbo

Wilbo Active Member Junior Member

In a recent interview the producer of the upcoming Zelda game, Eiji Aonuma said that the open world game would have an explorable area comparable to Kyoto, Japan. To put things into perspective Kyoto is roughly 320, 000 square miles, whereas the city of Los Santos in GTA 5 is 100, 000 square miles. In other words, Link's new roaming turf will be inconceivably huge.

505px-Kyoto_in_Kyoto_Prefecture_Ja.svg.png

Source

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. SirRidge

SirRidge Member Junior Member

I would even be fine with a large section of that area being near empty. I always liked just riding Epona accross Hyrule Field..

3. Pocketim

Pocketim Active Member Junior Member Let's Play Team

Honestly to me that sounds more or less like being huge just for the sake of being huge. Why would you ever need 320,000 square miles for a video game? What are you going to fill up all that space with? If it just means there's going to be a massive landmarkless field you have to cross over before you can get from town to town or dungeon to dungeon, I can only see this hurting the game.

Mind you, I'm completely biased since I'm not huge on open-world games for the reasons mentioned above. I personally think games like Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess were already a decent size, and were as big as they needed to be for the game. I could be proven wrong though, we'll just have to wait and see what Nintendo does with all that space.

4. Wilbo

Wilbo Active Member Junior Member

I'm a bit skeptical too...but I've learned over the years never to underestimate Nintendo haha. Remember when Windwaker was announced and everyone bashed it because of the art style? Now it's regarded as one of the most beautiful looking games, and still holds up very well even today.

5. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich Member Junior Member

The Legend of Zelda games have always featured impressively large and varied (for their time) Hyrulian over-worlds that the player can explore non-linearly at their leisure.

To hear that the latest game will feature such an impressively large area isn't too surprising, despite being a bit of a feat in terms of game capabilities.

However, like other commentators have noted above, how this area will be used is critical: It'll have to feature a sufficient number of varied enemies, hidden treasures, and puzzles to keep treks across the every-growing Hyrulian landscape fresh and engaging rather than feeling like a series of unremarkable road trips from dungeon to dungeon. Quality is even more important than mere quantity.

Most of the Zelda games have gotten the density of over-world enemies, hidden treasures, etc right thus far though, and as such I'm more than willing to give Nintendo the benefit of doubt that their latest iteration of Hyrule will be another epic, adventurous land befitting the series!

6. Pikahalf

Pikahalf Member Junior Member

Or.. It could play out like a land based version of Wind Waker. I mean Wind Waker was HUGE in content while at the same time having a lot of ocean to cross. I'm thinking just take the same idea & instead all the content would be on land instead of on the water. :3